What to consider in allowing a custodial parent to relocate with a child?

People change residences for all kinds of reasons, but people generally don’t have to get court approval to relocate. That is not always the case, however, for divorced parents with minor children.
In Texas, unless an agreement between the parents says otherwise, a modification of a child custody order is needed if the parent with primary physical custody plans to move with the child to another county or beyond.
If the parent without primary custody contests the move, then both parents may have to present their cases to a judge. The judge will consider each party’s claims and evidence, all while keeping the child’s best interests as the top priority.

Reasons to relocate with a child include:

• The move would put the child closer to family who can help with child-raising responsibilities.
• The custodial parent has been offered a job that would be in the child’s best interests.
• The custodial parent has arranged to continue his or her education, also in the child’s best interests.

The distance a parent intends to move is also a consideration. If a judge grants a relocation that is less than 100 miles away from the non-custodial parent, then regular visitation guidelines apply. If the move places the parents more than 100 miles apart, or if the move takes the custodial parent and the child to another county, state or country, then there will be additional guidelines and considerations.

A judge may consider the role the non-custodial parent has played in the child’s life. Has the non-custodial parent actively helped care for the child? Or has the non-custodial parent been largely absent?


Copyright © 2018 Mat Rueda Law Firm