Changing Your Child Support Payments in Texas

An individual must show just cause as to why they need a modification.

Some of these reasons include the following:

  1. The noncustodial parent’s financial circumstances have changed. This would have likely resulted in a job loss or a reduction in the parent’s income;
  2. More than three years have passed since the court order was issued and the support amount awarded would have differed by at least twenty percent or more if calculated by today’s guidelines;
  3. The noncustodial parent’s salary has increased;
  4. The noncustodial parent is now legally and financially responsible for additional children in their household;
  5. The minor child/children’s health insurance coverage has been changed;
  6. The minor child/children’s living arrangements have been adjusted.

    Preparing for the Modification Process

You will need to produce information about your personal income and health insurance coverage costs for the minor children to show your justification for the modification. Income information that can be submitted for review include the following:

  1. Copies of paystubs,
  2. Tax forms such as W2 and 1099,
  3. An offer letter from a prospective employer that lists earnings and has a valid signature for verification.

It is important to know that you should not stop paying your child support payments because you can wind up behind bars for being in contempt of a court order. It can take several weeks for your paperwork to be reviewed. The court typically either conducts a review or holds a hearing. It can be helpful to speak to the other parent involved to try and come up with an amicable agreement regarding support. This can expedite the modification process.


Copyright © 2019 Mat Rueda Law Firm